Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Bush Learns a New Word

Bush Defends Detainee Treatment and Cites 'Stalling' on Bolton


By BRIAN KNOWLTON, International Herald Tribune
Published: May 31, 2005

WASHINGTON, May 31 - "President Bush today vigorously defended the administration's handling of its detainees from the war on terror, dismissing as "absurd" a human rights group's suggestion that the United States detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had become "the gulag of our times."

While criticizing the report Dubya used the word "absurd" at least two more times, as if, when teaching him a new word, Rove or Chaney instructed him to use it three times in a short conversation.

Of course the report was not absurd, and has been documented many times. The report had to do with the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison camp that Newsweek reported and then retracted under intense pressure from the White House.

Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld and then White House counsel Alberto Gonzales had both decreed that the Geneva Convention did not apply to Guantanamo and methods that some have likened to torture could be used.

"The language was insistent and unusually sharp for the president, but it echoed an earlier comment by Vice President Dick Cheney, who had said he was "offended" by Amnesty International's description. Both men suggested that freed detainees were spreading mistruths to harm the United States."
This afternoon, the executive director of Amnesty International USA, William F. Schulz, assailed Mr. Bush's response.
"What is 'absurd' is President Bush's attempt to deny the deliberate policies of his administration, which has detained individuals without charge or trial in prisons at Guantánamo Bay, Bagram Air Base and other locations," he said in a statement. "What is 'absurd' and indeed outrageous is the Bush administration's failure to undertake a full independent investigation."

Dr. Schulz added, "This administration never finds it 'absurd' when we criticize Cuba or China, or when we condemned the violations in Iraq under Saddam Hussein."

Dubya was also upset that the Demos had held up the Bolton (The crazy Dubya had picked to be UN Ambassador) nomination. Dubya apparently does not understand the word "advice." He thinks the Senate should rubberstamp his nominations of crazy people such as Bolton and Priscilla Owen.

2. The following is from Susan DuQuesnay's Juanita's.

" May 31 - Well, the Lege ended its reign of terror and a few Texans are left standing. The Republicans were fare more concerned about moving school board elections to November (making them partisan races) than how we’re going to fund public education in Texas. Speaker Craddick seriously suggested that we leave it to the Courts. No, really. He said that. I think if he ever comes to a resolution about activist judges, his head will explode. But, of course, these are the same Republicans who kept hollering for a balanced budget back in the 80’s. Our three Representatives from Fort Bend proved themselves to be worthless as a four card flush. Take a look at Republican Charlie Howard. Look at the bills he authored and then count the ones that were passed and sent to the Governor. Of course, he's one term past due on his term limit promise, but you can't trust a word those Baptists say anyway. Democrat Dora Olivo scored even higher on the worthless scale. Even with legislation written by local lawyers, her recent erratic behavior made her ineffective."

Well that should be enough for you to chew on fer a spell. yeller dawg apologizes, but he's been gettin his daughter married. (To a fine man-and, oh yes, he's a Democrat!)

yeller dawg

6 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger wpb-39D6B3 said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Great national football blog you have here. I'm always looking for info on national football. You can check out my forum about national football if you have a chance.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Dokdo Island said...

hello
offers or buyers

These days trade business much easier since internet development.
On net, we can find well made trade portal site.
In fact, those cool sites help your trade business.
How many countries? what kinds of products?
Yes, we can not count.
Around the world, someone looking for your products, and a company
want to import your goods.
Trade portal site become huge marketplace so it called "emarketplace."
How many emarketplace do you know.
Which emarketplace do you recommend.
I am proudly tell you the emarketplace "buykorea.org"
You may not buy korea, but you can buy and sell what you want.
Buykorea.org trade service managed by kotra(un profit trade agency)
Your marketing budget will be save and business increased.
Check what do you want to know about

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger autoparts said...

I just came across your blog about costa rica and discount travel package and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about costa rica and discount travel package so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by costa rica and discount travel package

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Paul Adams said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a trip Dhekelia
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home